A clean mouth is a happy mouth. And when Dr. Pulsipher and his staff see you have a clean mouth, we are happy too! When you have braces, you are playing a game of hide-and-go-seek with everything you eat. Here are 5 simple tips to keep your mouth happy.
1. It’s all about the angles. Brush the tops of your teeth and braces with your brush angled down. Brush the bottom of your teeth with the brush angled up. Pointy brushes, aka interproximal brushes, are good for reaching the tiny spots around braces.
2. Brush after every meal! If those sneaky food bits hide in your mouth for very long, they will turn into plaque. Plaque is a sign of a very unhappy mouth!
3. Brush one tooth at a time for at least 10 seconds, and pay close attention to the spots where your braces youth your teeth.
4. Be sure to floss after every meal. Water picks are also very helpful in dislodging any particles you might have missed when brushing.
5. Use a Mouth Rinse. Even after properly brushing and flossing, there are probably some food particles in your braces. A fluoride mouth rinse is the best way to ensure that every bit of food is removed after meals.